Blogroll

Monday, September 20, 2010

Goodbye Summer, Goodbye Zuchinni

Wow, where did the weekend go? As I look back, I had a pretty awesome weekend. Let me tell you a little about it.

Friday evening Mark and I met my brother and his wife for dinner at YATS. Hands down the best shrimp gumbo I have ever had. It wasn't too spicy, but had a great kick; just how I like it. After dinner we wandered over to The Flying Cupcake. This place is adorable, full of pink decor and all the cupcake flavors one could imagine. Check them out! After filling our bellies we headed to Trader's Point Creamery! This was the highlight of the evening. We lead on through the Farmer's Market which had numerous vendors from around Indiana. I purchased a few things, maybe more than a FEW things but that is the fun in waiting to buy organic, fresh, and grass fed produce and meat. I bought 2 small white eggplant to try, the gentleman selling them told me they are more rich than a purple eggplant, I was all game. I also bought ground lamb, pork chops, green beans, Traders Point chocolate ice cream, TP Cottage Cheese, TP raw milk white cheddar cheese, and a few other things. I had to snap this before leaving, it was a small paradise :)

Saturday was another great day. I feel so blessed to have such wonderful friends and family. I spent the afternoon at my little cousins soccer game. He is only 3 so you can picture in your head how cute the game was. I snapped a few pictures, I couldn't help myself.

GO OLLIE!
After the game I met my friend ElAnn for wine tasting at Mallow Run. It was great to taste all of the summer wines. I really like the ones infused with apples and strawberries! They were out of our favorite Rhubarb, better luck next time. After wine tasting we headed off to Apple Works. Now let me tell you a little about Apple Works, it's amazing. The property is filled with animals, apple trees, barns, train rides, sunflowers, tree house, and much much more. There is a store that sells fudge, ice cream, cider, the list goes on forever! ElAnn and I really enjoyed relaxing and soaking up the beautiful fall weather! Afterward I was able to shadow my Aunt who is an RN, and a Respiratory Therapist for a 12 hour shift, this was a life changing experience! I now want to be a Respiratory Therapist AND an RN! Can you become both? Wow, I really can't wait 2 more years until I've completed the schooling!



























Now to the RECIPES!

Tonight I was able to run 5 miles! I was feeling very strong and it helped that my favorite shows were on Food Network. Secrets of a Restaurant Chef made some pretty yummy stuff today that I can't wait to try! I came back and cleaned, it was much needed! For dinner I made a delicious mix of my summer vegetables alongside a fillet of Tilapia. Both turned out great, I highly recommend trying them. You will be surprised by the apples added in the Summer Gratin :)

My own concoction of Citrus Tilapia:

1 large fillet of Tilapia
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup orange juice
dash salt
dash pepper
1/2 tbsp Smart Balance butter

If the fillet is frozen thaw in a pan of warm water. After Tilapia is thawed soak up excess water with paper towels (this is important). Place Tilapia on a baking sheet with foil. Set the Tilapia in the foil and curl up the sides to there isn't any leaking. Sprinkle both sides of Tilapia with salt and pepper; spread butter on very thin. Drizzle on lemon juice and pour on the orange juice; let sit for 5 minutes. Heat over to 375 degrees and bake for 9 minutes. After 9 minutes is up set oven to Low Broil and Broil for 3 minutes.


Summer Gratin (my way)

1 large zucchini
4 small tomatoes
1 small eggplant *I used white eggplant, delicious!
1 small apple
Fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup goat cheese
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt
pepper
Thyme (amount used will vary)
1/3 cup Tomato Sauce (Can use any kind, I used leftovers from my pumpkin pasta)

Cut all vegetables in slices, including the eggplant. Sprinkle with salt and lay flat on a baking sheet for 15-20 minutes to soak up excess water. Spray pan with non-stick.
Place eggplant down first, this will be your base or bottom layer.
Then place tomatoes over eggplant, just laying over each other. Sprinkle with Thyme and Parmeasan Cheese.
Layer zucchini and apples over previous layers. Again, sprinkle with Thyme and Parmesan Cheese.
Drizzle Extra Virgin Olive Oil over entire dish.
Heat over to 375 degrees. Place in oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes set over to Low Broil, add tomato sauce, goat cheese, and Bread Crumbs. Broil dish for 3 minutes to make bread crumbs and cheese crispy on top! Sprinkle with salt and pepper as you wish. The apples were an incredible addition to this, I've never seen it done before but I like to mix my savory and sweets :)


FYI: These recipes combined are under 300 total calories and 5 grams of fat. Always Keeping it Healthy!

Now it's homework time. I hope you enjoy!

Keep it Happy, Keep it Healthy, Keep it Sweet.

1 comment: